Ambalaman Marrya : Good Food
Saltwater Playgroup, Numbulwar
Families as First Teachers, School Language Centre staff
Lillian Joshua, Mandy Manggurra
Northern Territory Library, 2014
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5
English, Wubuy / Nunggubuyu language N128 (NT SD53-11)
Add to Favourites
- Board books
- Bush tucker
- Hunting and gathering
- Numbulwar / Rose River (East Arnhem Land SD53-11)
- Wubuy / Nunggubuyu people (N128) (NT SD53-11)
Good healthy food or bush tucker is the focus of this colourful board book created jointly by the Saltwater Playgroup, Family as First Teachers and staff at the School Language Centre. They shared their cultural knowledge to create the ‘ambalaman marrya’ book and songs for the families in the Numbulwar community in East Arnhem Land.
The foods are fruits and nuts or bush tucker and are pictured in highly regarded locally made woven baskets accompanied by a photo of the bush or tree on which they grow. The text is in both English and the Wubuy language and starts with a song that encourages the eating of these foods as tasty and healthy. The book showcases the work of three local community artists with paintings of bush tucker and ‘Marang-aynjaabugij’ or Five Seasons.
Numbulwar is situated on the mouth of the Rose River which empties into the western side of the Gulf of Carpentaria.
- Numbulwar Community https://ozoutback.com.au/Australia/numbulwar/index.html#more
- ABC Behind the News ‘Bush Tucker Garden’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ8NiPKTavQ
- Embracing Bush Tucker https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-07/why-bush-tucker-should-be-our-national-cuisine/9622104
- Healthy Jarjums make Healthy Choices – ‘Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Foods’ https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0032/428288/jarjums-sect3-less3.pdf
- ‘9 Australian bush foods you should be eating for your health’ https://www.wellbeing.com.au/body/nutrition/australian-bush-foods-health.html