At the Beach I See
Kamsani Bin Salleh
Kamsani Bin Salleh
Magabala Books, 2017
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5
Add to Favourites
- Art motifs
- Board books
- Literary devices
‘At the Beach I See’ is part of the ‘Young Art’ series of four board books which showcase young Indigenous creators.
The series is aimed at very young children at a pre-literate stage. Each book features fascinating creatures to
examine and talk about. In this title, the two-word text appears in different colours and invites prediction and
guessing, which is useful for developing early literacy. The sea creatures have enticing details that invite the viewer
while the two words offer interesting action word choices, such as ‘scuttling crabs’, ‘dancing jellyfish’, ‘drifting
seaweed’ and ‘crawling sea stars’. These cleverly capture the essence of each sea creature. Examining the
illustrations closely reveals each one features an Aboriginal design.
‘At the Beach’ was longlisted in the 2018 ABIA Small Publishers' Children's Book of the Year and shortlisted in the
2018 Speech Pathology Australia's Book of the Year (Birth to Three Years category).
Kamsani Bin Salleh is descended from the Nimunburr, Bunuba and Yawuru peoples of the Kimberley and the
Ballardong Noongar people of the Perth region in WA.
Series: Young Art no 2
- The Little Big Book Club. Libraries and Playgroups. Learning Time – Session Plans https://www.thelittlebigbookclub.com.au/sites/thelittlebigbookclub.com.au/files/files/title_resource/learning_time_at_the_zoo_i_see.pdf
- Educate.Empower. ‘At the Beach I See’ by Kamsani Bin Salleh. 2 September 2017 https://educateempower.blog/2017/09/02/at-the-beach-i-see-by-kamsani-bin-salleh/
- Autism Spectrum Australia. Shared Book Reading, Our Way https://www.autismspectrum.org.au/uploads/documents/Aspect%20Practice/ATSI/Shared-Book-Reading-Our-Way_flyer.pdf
- Madalah. Making a Difference and Looking Ahead. (biographical profile) Kamsani Bin Salleh https://madalah.com.au/story/kamsani-bin-salleh/
- Wisdom Seekers. Creation. Behind the Scenes with Kamsani Bin Salleh (interview) 11 May 2020 https://www.uwa.edu.au/seek-wisdom/seekers-space/BTS-Kamsani-Bin-Salleh