Come Together : Things Every Aussie Kid Should Know about the First Peoples
Jaelyn Biumaiwai, Keisha Leon (Design)
Hardie Grant Explore, 2022
5-8yrs, Lower Primary, Primary, Upper Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELA1428, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELA1428, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK011, ACHASSK012, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK015, ACHASSK016, ACHASSK017, ACSSU004, ACSHE013, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109, ACAMUR083, ACADAR004, ACPPS001, ACPPS003, ACPPS004, ACPPS005, ACPPS006, ACPPS007, ACELA1443, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACHASSK028, ACHASSK029, ACHASSK030, ACHASSK031, ACHASSK032, ACHASSK033, ACSSU017, ACSSU211, ACSSU019, ACSHE021, ACSHE022, ACPPS0015, ACPPS0019, ACPPS0021, ACPPS0022, ACPPS0024, ACELA1460, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELT1593, ACHASSK044, ACHASSK045, ACHASSK049, ACSHE034, ACSHE035, ACELA1475, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACHASSK062, ACHASSK063, ACHASSK066, ACHASSK069, ACAVAM110, ACAVAR113, ACADAR008, ACADAM007, ACAMUM085, ACAMUR087, ACPPS036, ACPPS037, ACPPS040, ACPPS041, ACPPS042, ACELA1487, ACELA1498, ACELT1602, ACELT1603, ACELT1605, ACHASSK088, ACHASSK089, ACSHE062, ACELA1500, ACELA1502, ACELT1608, ACELT1609, ACELT1610, ACHASSK110, ACHASSK112, ACHASSK113, ACSSU083, ACAVAM114, ACAVAR117, ACADAM011, ACADAR012, ACAMUM089, ACAMUR091, ACPPS051, ACPPS054, ACPPS055, ACPPS057, ACPPS059, ACPPS060, ACELA1515, ACELA1518, ACELT1613, ACELT1614, ACHASSK135, ACHASSK137, ACHASSK140
English, Yorta Yorta language (D2) (NSW SI55-13)
Add to Favourites
- Art, Aboriginal Australian
- First Nations people
- Indigenous knowledge
- Rites and ceremonies
- Stolen generations
- Yorta Yorta / Yota Yota people (D2) (NSW SI55-13)
First Nations singer, Isaiah Firebrace is passionate about improving the teaching of First Nations history and communities. He believes many Australian children receive a limited education in these topics. This was the catalyst for the creation of this his first children’s book that he believes is ‘filling the gap’ in the current First Nations curriculum. It has been developed in consultation with his Elders to ensure it is culturally appropriate and truthful in its telling of the history and experience of Australia’s First Nations people. It covers twenty topics including the Dreaming, Country, Creation, ceremonies, sport especially AFL and its origins, Reconciliation and the Stolen Generations, the impact of which is still being felt today.
The language is straightforward and explanations of various often complex ideas are understandable and flow well from one to another. It includes some words from the Yorta Yorta language. Isaiah Firebrace is a Yorta Yorta man. The accompanying digital illustrations by Jaelyn Biumaiwai are boldly coloured and blend well with the large font.
This is an excellent book for sharing and leading discussions of First Nations people.
Isaiah Firebrace is a proud Yorta Yorta and Gunditjmara man who grew up on the banks of the Murray River. After a childhood of hardship faced by so many in the Aboriginal community, Isaiah’s life changed completely after winning The X Factor in 2016 on his 17th birthday. In 2017 he represented Australia at Eurovision. He is also a passionate advocate for Indigenous education.
Jaelyn Biumaiwai is a self-taught illustrator. She is of Mununjali and Fijian ancestry and she has a passion for First Nations and Pasifika culture and communities and is reflected in the work she creates. Book designer Keisha Leon is a Waanyi and Kalkadoon woman who creates her designs through her connections to her identity and life.
- SBS/NITV Radio (podcast) 18 November 2022 Interview by Emma Kellaway with Isaiah Firebrace about ‘Come Together’ A new book by Isaiah Firebrace https://www.sbs.com.au/language/nitv-radio/en/podcast-episode/come-together-a-new-book-by-isaiah-firebrace/l9a33acsz
- Little Bookish Teacher reviews ‘Come Together’ by Isaiah Firebrace and Jaelyn Biumaiwa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4CDehrd7NM
- Hello Lunch Lady blog 24 November 2022. ‘How to teach kids about First Nations history.’ Interview with Isaiah Firebrace https://hellolunchlady.com.au/blogs/blog/how-to-teach-kids-about-first-nations-history
- Pro Bono Australia. 29 November 2022 Ruby Kraner-Tucci. ‘New kids book aims to ‘fill gap’ in Australian Indigenous education.’ https://probonoaustralia.com.au/news/2022/11/new-kids-book-aims-to-fill-gap-in-australian-indigenous-education/