3-4yrs, 5-8yrs, Lower Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK015
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK015, ACHASSK016, ACHASSK017, ACSSU002, ACSSU004, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACHASSK028 , ACHASSK030, ACHASSK031, ACHASSK033, ACSSU017, ACSSU211, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACHASSK044, ACHASSK045 , ACHASSK046, ACHASSK049, ACHASSK050 , ACSSU032, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACHASSK062, ACHASSK063, ACAVAM110 , ACAVAR113
Add to Favourites
- River Murray (SW NSW, N Vic, SE SA SI54, SI55)
- Yorta Yorta / Yota Yota people (D2) (NSW SI55-13)
This early years reader is from the Scholastic Reading Discovery series. It tells in simple first person voice in a repetitive style prose the skills various members of the family have in making damper. The illustrations are simple and reflect family life with the particular type of damper making matching the page's text.
The story is based about the lifestyle of the Yorta Yorta people who lived on the Murray River near Barmah, Victoria. Author Sue Briggs-Pattinson is a descendent of the Yorta Yorta people. She and joint author Bev Harvey originally met at Teacher's College and again later when both were involved in teaching Aboriginal students. They decided to record the stories from Sue's childhood of growing up on Yorta Yorta Country to share with future generations.
Illustrator Donna Leslie belongs to the Gamileroi people of New South Wales.
Series: Reading discovery, Yellow
- Deadly Story -'Yorta Yorta Country' https://www.deadlystory.com/page/aboriginal-country-map/Aboriginal_Country_In_Development/Yorta_Yorta
- ABC Goldfields 12 July 2013 12 July, 2013 ' NAIDOC Week: how to make bush damper' https://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2013/07/11/3801235.htm
- Language and culture go hand in hand for Yorta Yorta woman Ebony Joachim. ABC Life https://www.abc.net.au/life/yorta-yorta-woman-helping-keep-language-strong/11041818