Fremantle Press, 2015
5-8yrs, Lower Primary, Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109, ACPPS005, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACPPS019, ACPPS020, ACPPS024 , ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELT1593, ACHASSK049, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACAVAM110 , ACAVAR113, ACPPS033, ACPPS037, ACPPS038, ACPPS042, ACELA1498, ACELT1602, ACELT1603, ACELT1605, ACHASSK088, ACELA1502, ACELT1608, ACELT1609, ACELT1610, ACELT1612, ACAVAM114, ACAVAR117, ACPPS051, ACPPS056, ACELA1518, ACELT1613, ACELT1614, ACHASSK140
Add to Favourites
- Art motifs
- Pilbara area (WA SF50, SF51, SG50)
This poignant story is about an Aboriginal boy coming to terms with the death of his grandfather. After Grandpa dies, Dan remembers their times together. Dan and Grandpa loved fishing in their favourite spot in the mangroves where the big turtles swam. When Dan got stuck in the mud, Grandpa rescued him. Grandpa taught Dan many things about the birds, plants and animals. He also shared old corroboree songs and taught Dan how to sing and dance. One day Grandpa became very sick and went to hospital. Very worried, Dan visits every day after school. His grandfather told Dan not to worry, that he would always be with him and looking after him.
After Grandpa’s death, Dan is dismayed when their pet Cocky disappears. In a very heart-warming scene, the Cocky returns. Dan is jubilant and convinced that Cocky is Grandpa still looking after him.
Bronwyn Bancroft’s familiar art motifs feature throughout. Her artwork uses bold, intense colours which spread across each double page and silhouette objects and people in the scenes. The black outlines bring the kaleidoscopic colours and shapes of landscapes, sky and home environment into sharp focus.
Sally Morgan is from the Palyku people from the eastern Pilbara region of Western Australia. She is a full-time painter and writer. Illustrator Bronwyn Bancroft is a proud Djanbun clan member of the Bundjalung Nation. She is a celebrated artist who has been exhibiting nationally and internationally for over three decades.
- Fremantle Press Teaching Notes 'Dan's Grandpa' by Sally Morgan https://www.fremantlepress.com.au/system/spree/files/attachments/000/000/040/original/Teaching_notes_MORGAN__BANCROFT.pdf?1420791574
- Professor Sally Morgan: the importance of stories, 30 September 2004 https://www.artslaw.com.au/article/professor-sally-morgan-the-importance-of-stories/
- Magabala Books Teacher Notes for The 'Toast Tree' refers to 'Dan's Grandpa' https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0092/5043/9268/files/The_Toast_Tree_Teacher_Notes.pdf
- Aboriginal Parent Easy Guide 'Grief and Loss' http://www.childandfamilysupport.info/murwillumbah/files/2017/08/11.-Grief-and-Loss-Mbah.pdf