Coralie Nampitjimpa Williams
Marjorie Nyunga Williams
Honey Ant Readers, 2020 (2nd Edition)
5-8yrs, Lower Primary, Primary, Secondary, Upper Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELA1428, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELA1428, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK015, ACSSU002, ACSSU004, ACSHE013, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109, ACPPS007, ACELA1443, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACHASSK031, ACHASSK032, ACHASSK033, ACSSU017, ACSSU211, ACPPS0023, ACPPS0024, ACELA1460, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELT1593, ACHASSK049, ACSSU030, ACSHE035, ACELA1475, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACHASSK062, ACHASSK063, ACHASSK066, ACSSU044, ACAVAM110, ACAVAR113, ACPPS037, ACPPS041, ACPPS042, ACELA1487, ACELA1498, ACELT1602, ACELT1603, ACELT1605, ACHASSK088, ACHASSK089, ACSSU072, ACSSU073, ACSHE062, ACELA1500, ACELA1502, ACELT1608, ACELT1609, ACELT1610, ACELT1612, ACHASSK112, ACHASSK113, ACAVAM114, ACAVAR117, ACPPS051, ACPPS059, ACPPS060, ACELA1515, ACELA1518, ACELT1613, ACELT1614, ACHASSK140, ACSSU094, ACELA1528, ACELA1529, ACELT1619, ACELT1621, ACELT1803, ACHGK046, ACAVAM118, ACAVAR124, ACPPS079, ACPMP085, ACELA1540, ACELA1541, ACELT1626, ACELT1627, ACELT1628, ACELT1807, ACHGK049, ACELA1550, ACELA1551, ACELT1663, ACELT1771, ACELT1634, ACELT1635, ACHGK065, ACAVAM125, ACAVAR131, ACPPS098, ACPMP104, ACELA1563, ACELA1564, ACELA1565, ACELT1639, ACELT1640, ACELT1812, ACELT1642, ACELT1643, ACELT1644, ACHGK072
English, Western Arrernte language (C8) (NT SF53-13)
Add to Favourites
- Aboriginal Australians
- Animal tracks
- Bilingual books
- Desert animals
- Hunting and gathering
Hunting Ilia is part of the Reading Tracks learn to read series. Each book in the series is centred around a fishing, hunting or tracking story. The text and illustrations work seamlessly together in this book to bring to life the story of Father emu, who works hard to protect his young chicks from predators. But then comes the time that Father emu himself is unable to escape a skilled hunter searching for food. The story is narrated in an authentic voice designed to engage and inform young readers. The earthy tones and bright blue skies of the illustrations reflect the beauty of the Australian desert landscape.
This series of books works to connect young First Nations readers back to Country, and to provide a window into First Nations culture for all readers. The author worked closer with both Elders and students to ensure the stories are culturally accurate, engaging and authentic. Designed to engage both young and older readers, and enhance literacy skills, books like this one are important in helping to bridge the gap between cultures.
Hunting Ilia is part of a set of 7 advanced books in the Reading Tracks series, designed for middle school and older readers.
- ABC Goldfields. 16 June 2020. ‘Author of Reading Tracks, Margaret James, is interviewed by ABC Goldfields.’ https://honeyant.com.au/author-of-reading-tracks-margaret-james-is-interviewed-by-abc-goldfields/
- Sue Myc. 29 August 2018. FM 89.7. ‘Interview with Margaret James about the Reading Tracks Books. https://honeyant.com.au/author-of-reading-tracks-margaret-james-is-interviewed-by-abc-goldfields/
- School Stream ‘Indigenous Reading Resources—interview with Margaret James of Honey Ant Readers’ https://www.schoolstream.com.au/indigenous-reading-resources-interview-with-margaret-james-of-honey-ant-readers/
- Honey Ant Readers website. ‘Guide to the Honey Ant readers.’ https://honeyant.com.au/reading-tracks/
- Northern Territory Government. NT Curriculum Framework – Indigenous Languages and Culture. https://education.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/270337/indigenous_lang_cult.pdf