In the City I See
Magabala Books, 2018
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5
Add to Favourites
- Board books
- Cities and towns
‘What can you see in the city?’ this board book asks the very young viewer. There are six double page spreads featuring a range of culturally diverse people, dogs walking, pigeons eating, buses travelling, buskers playing instruments, singers sharing songs and clever signage promoting the Bangarra festival, an Aboriginal and Torres Strait performing arts company plus atop tall buildings – three flags – Australian, Aboriginal and Torres Strait. The artwork is bold and in a painterly style set against a white background which nudges the viewer to talk about the images. The coloured, two-word text per page invites the very young to count, identify colours and guess words. This is a story packed with enticing city images just begging to be talked about.
‘In the City I See’ was shortlisted in the 2018 Speech Pathology Australia's Book of the Year (Birth to Three Years category). Jori-Jay Mordey was born on Thursday Island and is descended from the Meriam and Maluyigal clans of the Torres Strait. She holds a Bachelor of Contemporary Australian Indigenous Art from Griffith University in Brisbane.
Series: Young Art no 3
- South Sydney Herald. Books – ‘In the City I See’ review by Lyn Turnbull, 11 March 2018 https://southsydneyherald.com.au/book-review-in-the-city-i-see/
- ‘In the City I See’ by Tori-Jay Mordey, Reviewed in Educate.Empower, 29 January 2018 https://educateempower.blog/2018/01/29/in-the-city-i-see-by-tori-jay-mordey/
- ‘In the City I See’ by Tori-Jay Mordey. Reviewed by Liz Anelli. Reading Time, 13 March 2018 http://readingtime.com.au/in-the-city-i-see-young-art-series/
- The Little Big Book Club. A Program of Raising Literacy Australia, ‘In the City I See Activity Time’ https://www.thelittlebigbookclub.com.au/resources/in-the-city-i-see-activity-time
- Libraries and Play Groups, Learning Time, Sessions Plans. ‘In the City I See’ by Tori-Jay Mordey http://docplayer.net/147872534-In-the-city-i-see-by-tory-jay-mordey-born-on-thursday-island-tory-jay-is-descended-from-the-meriam-and-maluyigal-clans-of-the-torres-strait.html