My Banbiya : My Family
Northern Territory Library
Elliott Community and Elliott School
Northern Territory Library, 2013
0-2yrs, 3-4yrs, 5-8yrs
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5
English, Mudburra language (C25) (NT SE53-05)
Add to Favourites
- Bilingual books
- Board books
- Elliott / Gurungu (North NT SE53-06)
- Mudburra people (C25) (NT SE53-05)
This colourful bilingual board book opens saying My Banbiya is ‘about family, relationships and what makes Elliott children strong’.
This cleverly designed book uses colourful clay figures to represent a family ‘my banbiya’ going on a camping trip to Ijibarda (Longreach Waterhole). The children are shown swimming and the adults, collecting firewood, hunting for goanna and kangaroo, fishing and cooking on the fire. Later Ngamirni (Uncle), Jawaiji (maternal Grandfather) and Jaju (maternal Grandmother) tell stories and sing around the fire. On the final page we see the tired family asleep.
The story is a powerful way to show the importance and strength of family relationships. The book opens with a reflective circle for the child to see themselves as an important part of the family and provides a list of family names in the local language, Mudburra and English.
The book was made into an effective stop motion animation and a DVD is included with the book.
- Barkly Regional Council – Elliot Community https://www.barkly.nt.gov.au/communities/elliott
- ‘Go to School’ Elliott Community N.T. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUqFAngp514
- ABC Indigenous Learn words in the Mudburra language of Marlinja (Elliott) N.T. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-HL6LxQk30
- Kardajala Kirridarra - Warmala (Young Girls Song) sung in Mudburra https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN3-nayZgmw