Jesse White, Bridget Gillard
Eddie Betts Family Trust, 2019
3-4yrs, 5-8yrs, Lower Primary, Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELA1428, ACELT1575, ACELT1575, ACELT1575, ACAMUR083
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELA1428, ACELT1575, ACELT1575, ACELT1575, ACAMUR083, ACPPS004, ACPPS005, ACPPS006, ACELA1443, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACPPS015, ACPPS019, ACPPS020, ACPPS022, ACPPS024, ACELA1460, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELT1593, ACELA1475, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACAMUM085 , ACAMUR087, ACPPS036, ACPPS037, ACPPS038, ACPPS040, ACPPS042, ACELA1487, ACELA1498, ACELT1602, ACELT1603, ACELT1605, ACELA1500, ACELA1502, ACELT1608, ACELT1609, ACELT1610, ACELT1612, ACAMUM089, ACAMUR091, ACPPS051, ACPPS055, ACPPS056, ACPPS057, ACPPS06, ACELA1515, ACELA1518, ACELT1613, ACELT1614, ACHASSK140
Add to Favourites
- Cultural diversity
- Cultural heroes
- Literary devices
- Social life and customs
‘My People,’ the second book by Australian Football League player Eddie Betts, invites Eddie’s ‘kindness crew’ to explore and pay respect to Aboriginal culture. As in, ‘My Kind,’ the rhythmic flow of the rhyming text is designed to be read or ‘rapped’ aloud, engaging children in a fun and interactive way. Eddie shares with his audience the reasons why he is proud of his culture, emphasising the importance of living in harmony with the land, and inviting us all to move forward together in unity.
Australian footballer Jesse White’s fun cartoon-style illustrations re-introduce us to Eddie’s crew of ‘homies’ (these characters also appeared in ‘My Kind’), along with new characters, such as wheelchair-bound Duncan, encouraging an awareness of inclusion and diversity. The book cover is designed against the backdrop of the orange and yellow colours of the Aboriginal flag.
Themes of acceptance, celebrating Aboriginal culture (such as the significance of the Aboriginal flag, and the role Elders play in the community), Aboriginal art and storytelling techniques, inclusion and kindness can be explored through the use of this book in a classroom or home environment. Reluctant readers will be encouraged to try reading the engaging text aloud. Eddie Betts is a proud Wirangu/Kokatha/Guburn Man.
Series: Eddie's Lil' Homies no 2
- Sunrise video. Sunrise Facebook page. 15 December 2018. ‘Eddie’s Lil’ Homies.’ https://www.facebook.com/Sunrise/videos/276509973058255/
- Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships. ‘NAIDOC Activity pack.’ https://www.datsip.qld.gov.au/resources/datsima/involved/naidoc/naidoc-activity-pack.pdf
- Angela Brunson. Teachers Quiver Full website. ‘Aboriginal Activities With Kindergarten Children.’ https://teachersquiverfull.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/aboriginal-activities-with-kindergarten-children/
- Early Childhood Resource Hub. ‘Little J and Big Cuz Games.’ https://www.littlejandbigcuz.com.au/play
- Raise Learning Blog. 7 March 2012. ‘Promoting Diversity, Equity and Cultural Competence in the Early Years.’ https://www.raiselearning.com.au/blogs/news/5828398-promoting-diversity-equity-and-cultural-competence-in-the-early-years