Norn and Kaarda : Based on the Dreamtime Story of the Nyoongar People
UWA Publishing, 2019
5-8yrs, Lower Primary, Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF4, ACELA1426, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK014, ACHASSK015, ACHASSK016
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF4, ACELA1426, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK014, ACHASSK015, ACHASSK016, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109, ACELA1443, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACHASSK031, ACSSU017, ACSSU211, ACSHE021, ACELA1460, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELT1593, ACHASSK044, ACHASSK045 , ACHASSK049, ACSHE034, ACELA1475, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACHASSK062, ACHASSK066, ACAVAM110 , ACAVAR113, ACELA1487, ACELA1498, ACELT1602, ACELT1603, ACELT1605, ACHASSK088, ACHASSK089, ACSSU073, ACELA1502, ACELT1608, ACELT1609, ACELT1610, ACELT1612, ACELT1612, ACAVAM114, ACAVAR117, ACELT1614, ACELA1518, ACELT1613, ACHASSK140
English, Noongar / Nyungar (W41), Noongar / Nyungar / Nyungah languages
Add to Favourites
- Glossaries and vocabularies
In the foothills of Nyoongar Boodjar (Nyoongar Land/Country) all the animals lived in harmony together but they all feared one common foe, Kaarda, the fierce, predatory goanna. When they meet to plan a way to overcome Kaarda, ninni Norn (little Snake) claims that he will be able to stop the goanna, much to the other animals’ ridicule and scorn. Angry and embarrassed, Norn resolves to defeat Kaarda with cunning and guile, and prove his greatness over all.
One in a series of three Nyoongar Dreaming Stories, Norn and Kaarda offers a lesson in humility and respect over pride. This lengthy retelling in English is peppered throughout with Nyoongar words and features digitally-rendered full-page illustrations. A glossary concludes the book.
Alton Walley, a Whadjuk, Wilman, Kaneang Nyoongar man and artist, John Walley, a Nyoongar man, both from south-west Western Australia, are also both members of the Middar dance group.
- Kaartdijin Noongar- Noongar Knowledge, Noongar Word List https://www.noongarculture.org.au/glossary/noongar-word-list/
- Gina Williams Djinda Djinda Kanangoor, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in Noongar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZIl12Fiuto
- Wanjoo, Welcome song, by Gina Williams, sung by HPPS Choir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VVU2fRXvls
- ABC Indigenous Nyungar speaker Kylie Bracknell teaches a few words in language https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMhBOrfhW5M