Tell Me Why : For Young Adults
Simon and Schuster, 2011
AC Links/EYLFACELA1528, ACELA1529, ACELT1619, ACELT1621, ACELT1803, ACELT1622, ACHGK043, ACHGK046, ACAMUR098, ACPPS074, ACPPS075
ACELA1528, ACELA1529, ACELT1619, ACELT1621, ACELT1803, ACELT1622, ACHGK043, ACHGK046, ACAMUR098, ACPPS074, ACPPS075, ACPMP085, ACELA1540, ACELA1541, ACELT1626, ACELT1627, ACELT1628, ACELT1807, ACHGK049, ACELA1550, ACELA1551, ACELT1663, ACELT1771, ACELT1634, ACELT1635, ACHGK065, ACAMUM102, ACAMUR105, ACPPS089, ACPPS093, ACPPS098, ACELA1563, ACELA1564, ACELA1565, ACELT1639, ACELT1640, ACELT1812, ACELT1642, ACELT1643, ACDSEH023, ACDSEH104, ACDSEH106, ACDSEH134, ACDSEH143 , ACHGK072, ACHGK081
Add to Favourites
- Aboriginal Australians
- Child / parent separation
- First Nations people
- Relationship to place
- Stolen generations
‘Tell Me Why : For Young Adults’ is a raw, heartbreaking, yet ultimately uplifting account of singer/songwriter Archie Roach’s life. Archie was forcibly removed from his family as a young child and placed in various foster homes, until he came to live with the Cox family. Here Archie came to know love and stability – but everything changed one day when he was 14 and received a letter that would tear apart everything he had believed to be true about his life and his identity.
This memoir takes us on a journey of discovery as Archie seeks to identify his true family and identity. His journey takes him to the streets, and to various places around Australia, searching for a sense of self and a place to call home. This is a story of family and heartbreak and music and creativity. It is both a love story and a story of discovery.
Archie’s voice resonates with something lost as we follow his endless quest to discover his family and where he came from. Yet hope and light ultimately shimmer through. Archie is a true poet and lyricist, telling his story with honesty and courage.
This book provides an important opportunity for young adults to learn more about the Stolen Generations. We gain an insight form this book into the way trauma is intergenerational, and there is much to be discussed around themes of identity, courage, and the way in which creativity can lead to understanding and healing.
‘Tell me why : for young adults’ is an abridged version of Archie Roach AM’s highly acclaimed adult memoir, Tell Me Why, first published in 2019. Lyrics from some of Archie’s well known songs are included at the start of each chapter.
Archie Roach AM, a Gunditjmara and Bundjalung man, was born in Victoria in 1956.
- Simon & Schuster. Belinda Duarte, Shelley Ware, Thara Brown. ‘Notes for Teachers: Tell Me Why for Young Adults by Archie Roach.’ https://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/tagged_assets/6352433/9781760858865_tg_tell%20me%20why%20for%20young%20adults%20teachers'%20notes.pdf
- ABC Radio National. 1 May 2021. ‘Archie Roach: Tell Me Why.’ https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/awaye/archie-roach-tell-me-why/13324616
- ABC Radio National. Geraldine Doogue. 7 July 2019. ‘Archie Roach: NAIDOC Week.’ https://www.abc.net.au/religion/watch/compass/archie-roach-naidoc-w/11278082
- YouTube. Archie Roach. 30 May 2020. ‘Archie Roach on Sorry Day & the Stolen Generations.’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qclZ2uBnjKU&list=PLGade_BWzPExWnqERpmXyckOa0auojbZw&index=22
- Narragunnawali. Reconciliation in Schools and Early Learning. ‘Teaching About the Stolen Generations.’ https://bth.humanrights.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/BTH%202017_Fact%20Sheet_Teaching%20About%20the%20Stolen%20Generations.pdf
- Australian Human Rights Commission. 2014. ‘Track the History Timeline: The Stolen Generations.’ https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/education/track-history-timeline-stolen-generations
- YouTube. Archine Roach’s YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn3czuOXaK8sz_PicbexF8A
- YouTube. Archie Roach. 2021. ‘Archie Roach – Tell Me Why (For Young Adults) – Playlist.’ https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGade_BWzPEyzMsMEEzBwmdZsE21wGs8v
- Sydney Morning Herald. 2 November 2019. Konrad Marshall. ‘Music is the medicine’: Archie Roach on how song saved his soul.’ https://www.smh.com.au/culture/music/music-is-medicine-archie-roach-on-how-song-saved-his-soul-20191028-p534xk.html
- The Conversation. Aileen Marwung Walsh. 14 January 2020. ‘Tell Me Why Review: Archie Roach’s pain is the pain of all of us.’ https://theconversation.com/tell-me-why-review-archie-roachs-pain-is-the-pain-of-all-of-us-127723