Welcome to Country
Joy Murphy (Aunty)
Black Dog Books, 2016
0-2yrs, 3-4yrs, 5-8yrs, Lower Primary, Primary, Upper Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, ACELA1426, ACELT1575, ACELT1580, ACELA1783, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK014, ACHASSK016
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, ACELA1426, ACELT1575, ACELT1580, ACELA1783, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK014, ACHASSK016, ACHASSK017, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109, ACELA1443, ACHASSK029, ACHASSK030, ACHASSK032, ACHASSK033, ACELA1460, ACELA1462, ACELT1591, ACHASSK044, ACHASSK045 , ACHASSK046, ACHASSK049, ACHASSK050 , ACSHE034, ACSHE035, ACPPS004, ACPPS005, ACPPS0018, ACPPS0019, ACPPS0024, ACELA1475, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACHASSK062, ACHASSK066, ACAVAM110 , ACAVAR113 , ACPPS036, ACPPS037, ACPPS042, ACELA1498, ACELT1602, ACELT1603, ACELT1605, ACHASSK088, ACHASSK089, ACSSU073, ACELA1500, ACELA1502, ACELT1608, ACELT1609, ACELT1610, ACHASSK112 , ACHASSK113, ACSSU043, ACAVAM114, ACAVAR117, ACPPS051, ACPPS060, ACELA1515, ACELA1518, ACELT1613, ACELT1614, ACHASSK140 , ACSSU094
Add to Favourites
- Art, Aboriginal Australian
- Bilingual books
- Board books
- Cultural protocols
- Intercultural communication
- Rites and ceremonies
- Social life and customs
- Visual literacy
The Wurundjeri Wominjeka (welcome) ceremony is a cultural greeting by liwiks (Elders) who grant permission to yannabil (visitors) to enter their traditional land. This picture book is the ideal introduction to an essential cultural experience for young people of all cultures, adults who work with children and others. In this picture book explanation, the Wurundkeri (Manna Gum People) present the story of their creator spirit, the Bunjil (eagle), who created all living things. Readers and viewers will experience a strong sense of respect and respond to the call to protect the land and all within it.
The lyrical text creates a bond between storyteller and listener. Artwork is acrylic on canvas creating bold colours and intricate designs which convey the beauty of the Australian land, the creatures and the humans living there. The author is the Senior Aboriginal Elder of the Wurundjeri People, and the illustrator is a descendant of the Trawlwoolay People.
Black Dog Books has published a board book edition in 2020 which is perfect for sharing with the youngest readers (ISBN: 9781760652005).
- Robyn Sheahan-Bright. Teacher Notes http://classroom.walkerbooks.com.au/welcome/pdf/WTC_Teacher-Notes_web.pdf
- Welcome To Country - Aunty Joy Murphy and Lisa Kennedy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEKUyht_fs8
- 0:05 / 1:04 Welcome to Country: A Traditional Aboriginal Ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yk9nb7fxXo
- Andrea Booth, NITV News, 'Welcome to Country ceremonies are 15-year-old inventions, says historian', 31 Mar 2016 https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2016/03/31/welcome-country-ceremonies-are-15-year-old-inventions-says-historian