Crabbing at High Tide
Magabala Books, 2001
5-8yrs, Lower Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK015, ACSSU002
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK015, ACSSU002, ACPPS004, ACPPS007 , ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACHASSK031, ACHASSK033, ACSSU017, ACPPS019, ACPPS023 , ACPPS024, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELT1593, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACPPS037, ACPPS041, ACPPS042
Add to Favourites
- Derby (WA West Kimberley SE51-07)
- Hunting and gathering
This is a simple story of the fun and mishaps involved in a fishing trip with family and friends. The narrator is a young boy, taking great pleasure in both the crabbing and the fun of being with his father and uncles. The author and illustrator are characters in the book – their first names, Paul and Carl, are used for the uncles, whose banter amuses the boy.
The naïve illustrations are drawn in child-like coloured pencil or pastel lines, showing humour and the realistic depiction of a variety of people, diverse in appearance and seemingly based on lived experience. The location is Derby in the Western Kimberly area of Western Australia, which is the home town of the author.
- Southern Cross University: Paul Ishiguchi https://www.scu.edu.au/engage/news/latest-news/2008/gnibi-hosts-new-book-launch.php
- Mud Crab Fact Sheet: Western Australia Dept of Fisheries https://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Documents/recreational_fishing/fact_sheets/fact_sheet_mud_crab.pdf
- How to catch a Mud Crab in Derby WA https://4wdcamperhireperth.com.au/how-to-catch-a-mud-crab-in-derby/
- Video (3 mins): How to catch mud crabs The Hook and the Cook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWkD4UifMLk