Roland Harvey Books, 2000
5-8yrs, Lower Primary, Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK015
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK015, ACHASSK016, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109, ACPPS004, ACPPS005, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACHASSK033, ACPPS019, ACPPS020, ACPPS024 , ACELA1460, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELT1593, ACHASSK049, ACHASSK050 , ACELA1475, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACHASSK062, ACAVAM110 , ACAVAR113, ACPPS037, ACPPS038, ACPPS042, ACELA1487, ACELA1498, ACELT1602, ACELT1603, ACELT1605, ACELA1500, ACELA1502, ACELT1608, ACELT1609, ACELT1610, ACELT1612, ACAVAM114, ACAVAR117, ACPPS051, ACPPS055, ACPPS056, ACPPS060, ACELA1515, ACELA1518, ACELT1613, ACELT1614, ACHASSK140
Add to Favourites
- Art motifs
- Bilingual books
- Minyerri / Hodgson Downs (North NT Roper SD53-14)
Like Germein's first picture book, 'Big Rain Coming', this one was inspired by her experiences teaching in Minyerri, a remote Aboriginal community in the Northern Territory. It is written in the first person, the narrator is leaving a place where she has lived. It is a very sad time for her and her friends, but their love is communicated in the giving and receiving of thoughtful, meaningful gifts.
The book follows a pattern, on one double page spread the narrator says what gift she is given and by whom; on the next double page spread more information is given about the gift. On the last double page spread the same text is written in English on the right and Kriol on the left. Kriol is the primary language of the Minyerri community.
The illustrations are bold and colourful, done in gouache and acrylic paint. Each page features the big blue sky of the outback, and a diamond pattern motif on the earth which symbolises Bancroft's belief that the earth offers many precious things, and that good friends are like diamonds. The characters are drawn without facial features, leaving the reader open to imagining what emotions they may be feeling.
Bronwyn Bancroft is a descendant of the Bunjalung people.
- Living in the outback, coping with boarding school. ABC Education https://education.abc.net.au/home#!/media/1224922/living-in-the-outback-coping-with-boarding-school
- Minyerri, Northern Territory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minyerri,_Northern_Territory
- Minyerri/Hodgson Downs. RoperGulf Regional Council https://ropergulf.nt.gov.au/our-communities/minyerri/
- Book People: Katrina Germein. TEN THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT KATRINA GERMEIN https://childrensbooksdaily.com/book-people-katrina-germein/
- Author Interview: Katrina Germein interviewed by Kate Foster 4 May 2020 https://www.katejfoster.com/general-blog/author-interview-katrina-germein