Eddie Betts Family Trust, 2018
3-4yrs, 5-8yrs, Lower Primary, Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACAMUR083 , ACPPS001
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELA1426, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACAMUR083 , ACPPS001, ACPPS004, ACPPS005, ACPPS006, ACELA1443, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACPPS015, ACPPS018, ACPPS019, ACPPS020, ACPPS022, ACPPS024 , ACELA1460, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELA1475, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACPPS036, ACPPS037, ACPPS038, ACPPS040, ACPPS042, ACAMUM085 , ACAMUR087, ACELA1487, ACELA1498, ACELT1602, ACELT1603, ACELT1605, ACELA1500, ACELA1500, ACELT1608, ACELT1608, ACELT1610, ACELT1612, ACAMUM089, ACAMUR091, ACPPS055, ACPPS060, ACELA1515, ACELA1518, ACELA1518, ACELT1614, ACHASSK140
Add to Favourites
- Aboriginal Australians
- Cultural heroes
- Environmental protection
- Visual literacy
Australian Football League player Eddie Betts has created a fun and interactive picture book that ‘lil’ homies’ can rap along to as they learn about the importance of being kind. The rhyme and rhythm of the text is designed to be read aloud, and to encourage children to read with confidence. Betts, inspired by his own struggles with literacy and experiences with racism, has created a book in which the friendly cast of characters display acceptance and inclusion, prevent bullying, and show care for our environment. The powerful message about the importance of kindness and acceptance shines through, empowering young readers to understand how they might demonstrate these qualities in their everyday lives.
Bright coloured cartoon-style illustrations by footballer Jesse White portray a diverse range of characters from different backgrounds. Readers will enjoy looking out for the ‘kindness’ slogans graffitied on seats, skatepark ramps and bins throughout the book, adding a cool ‘street-cred’ feel to the important message of being kind.
This book provides a useful resource for teachers, caregivers and parents to explore issues of kindness, bullying, inclusion, diversity, and caring for our environment. Eddie Betts is a proud Wirangu/Kokatha/Guburn Man.
Series: Eddie's Lil' Homies no 1
- YouTube. 12 February 2019. Eddie Betts YouTube channel. ‘Eddie’s First Book Reading of My Kind.’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqHuzz9rPg4
- Sunrise video. Sunrise Facebook page. 15 December 2018. ‘Eddie’s Lil’ Homies.’ https://www.facebook.com/Sunrise/videos/276509973058255/
- Raise Learning Blog. 7 March 2012. ‘Promoting Diversity, Equity and Cultural Competence in the Early Years.’ https://www.raiselearning.com.au/blogs/news/5828398-promoting-diversity-equity-and-cultural-competence-in-the-early-years
- RacismNoWay Website – Anti-racism education for Australian schools. ‘Anti-prejudice activities – Years K-2.’ https://www.racismnoway.com.au/teaching-resources/anti-prejudice-activities/
- Amanda Boyarshinov. The Educators Spin on it - Learning games & activities website. '7 songs for teaching kindness.’ https://theeducatorsspinonit.com/7-songs-for-teaching-kindness/