Scaly-tailed Possum and Echidna
Katrina Goonack , Marlene Goonack, Myron Goonack
Magabala Books, 2010
0-2yrs, 3-4yrs, 5-8yrs, Lower Primary
AC Links/EYLFEYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK014
EYLF1, EYLF2, EYLF3, EYLF4, EYLF5, ACELT1575, ACELT1783, ACELT1580, ACELT1831, ACHASSK013, ACHASSK014, ACHASSK015, ACHASSK016, ACHASSK017, ACSSU002, ACAVAM106, ACAVAR109, ACPPS004, ACPPS005, ACPPS006, ACELA1453, ACELT1582, ACELT1584, ACHASSK030, ACHASSK031, ACHASSK033, ACSSU017, ACSSU211, ACSHE021, ACPPS0023, ACPPS0024, ACELA1462, ACELT1587, ACELT1589, ACELT1591, ACELT1593, ACHASSK044, ACHASSK046, ACHASSK049, ACSSU030, ACELT1594, ACELT1596, ACELT1599, ACHASSK062, ACHASSK063, ACHASSK066, ACHASSK069, ACSSU044, ACAVAM110, ACAVAR113, ACPPS037, ACPPS042
Add to Favourites
- Art techniques
- Children as artists
- Kimberley region (W.A.)
- Stories and motifs
- Wunambal people (K22) (WA SD-12)
This is the long time ago story of how, through a series of physical encounters, Scaly-tailed Possum got his scaly tail and Echidna got his spikes. Both Possum and Echidna are punished for misbehaviour towards each other, which results in their appearance today. The story is described as part of the Wunambal people’s Dreaming. The striking and sumptuous illustrations, created by three young people, are drawings transferred onto silk then traced over using a gutta pen. Silk dyes are then applied and a silk steamer used to create the brilliant colours.
Included in the book is the story of the Wunambal people who lived in the remote Mitchell Plateau region in the Kimberley. A map shows where the Aboriginal communities and languages are located. There is also a brief history of the missionaries in the 1900s who arrived in the Kimberley.
Cathy Goonack is a descendant of the Wunambal people and part of the Kandiwal tribe from Ngauwudu land near the Mitchell Plateau. She inherited this story from her grandfather. Marlene, Myron and Katrina Goodnack have created the artwork for many of their family’s stories.
- Aboriginal Dreaming Story Scaly Tailed Possum & Echidna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7U2eUX-f4c
- Scaly Tailed Possum and Echidna Teacher Notes by Christina Wheeler https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0092/5043/9268/files/Scaly-tailed_Possum_and_Echidna_Teacher_Notes.pdf?2375
- Scaly-Tailed Possum and Echidna Teacher Resource. Copyright Agency Reading Australia https://readingaustralia.com.au/books/scaly-tailed-possum-echidna/
- Scaly-Tailed Possum and Echidna. Deadly Story https://www.deadlystory.com/page/culture/media/books-v2/Children_5_-_12/Scaly-Tailed_Possum_and_Echidna
- The Creature Feature: 10 Fun Facts about the Echidna https://www.wired.com/2014/07/the-creature-feature-10-fun-facts-about-the-echidna/
- Photographer captures rare, close-up image of elusive scaly-tailed possum https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2020/06/photographer-captures-rare-close-up-image-of-elusive-scaly-tailed-possum/