The NCACL Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander Resource includes books aimed at children from birth through twelve years of age, while recognising that some of these books are also accessible to an older age range.
Stage 2 of this resource, if funding can be sourced, will research and provide books and resources to expand the coverage of books to include those suitable for young people through secondary school years. No database such as this resource is ever complete. Updating will maintain currency and highlight new directions.
The NCACL researched and identified over 300 children’s books by and about Aboriginal and or Torres Strait Islander Peoples, published between 1974 and 2020 for young people from birth through twelve years of age. Each book in this Resource can be researched using a range of search filters listed below.
Free text searching is also available. Collections of related books can be retrieved then shared with colleagues by using a combination of search filters listed below.
- bibliographic details
- subjects for each book
- audience including age range
- annotation highlighting content
- creators’ cultural background
- story location and/or community information
- language(s), as appropriate to individual books
- identification of writing techniques and styles
- artistic media and technique
- curriculum links for the Early Years Learning Framework
- curriculum links for the Australian Curriculum
- teaching and other information resources related to the book